Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Hunter the Hunted (A Gator,err, I mean Wolf in Sheep's Clothing)


So I'm back from my Holiday excursion, Good Times, Good Times. Now back to business, which is Fighting Irish athletics, and more importantly, Notre Dame football. During this holiday season of cheerful bliss, the Irish verbal commitments held still at 22 until yesterday. Omar Hunter, quite possibly, the best defensive recruit of the bunch, decommitted and opened up his search to three schools: Florida, USC, and Auburn.

Here's the skinny from ESPN.com:

Under Armour All-American Omar Hunter has dropped his pledge to the Fighting Irish and is now only considering Florida, USC, and Auburn.

He told Bob Redmond of ESPN affiliate GatorCountry.com Tuesday, "Just watching Notre Dame, their style, and how they played [were reasons for Hunter's decision]. It doesn't really fit the way I play. I am not sure about the coach staff there, I know they are good guys and I love them, but I am not comfortable with the decision I made. I am officially decommitting from Notre Dame."
Additionally, Hunter's high school coach, Jess Simpson, stated that his former defensive stud wished to play closer to home so that his parents can attend his games.


I understand the whole, I'm a 18 year old kid and can change my mind everytime the wind blows. Omar has to be comfortable with his decision, and I don't disagree with that aspect. HOWEVER, I do not like his response about ND's style of play and how it fits with his style. You mean to tell me he didn't know the Irish's defensive style of play in the 3-4? Wasn't it just two weeks ago, that Jess Simpson said Omar's indecisiveness didn't have to do with ND's record or style of play. He's been an Irish verbal commit since this past summer and he finally is realizing ND's style of play? Come on, Hunter is playing us for the fool. I'm not sure about the coaches? Once again, how long has Omar been a verbal commitment? HMMMMMMMM. Makes you wonder if the new swirling rumor of Hunter being a silent verbal to the Gators and that Urban Meyer told him to not let the cat out of the bag until later is true. If it is true, shame on Omar for not being truthful and fully grasping the concept of commitment. I guess only true Notre Dame men and women know that! Also it shows how much of a dirt bag Meyer and his minion, Greg Mattison, really are.

When Charlie went down last month to visit Omar on a whim, that should have been the telling sign that he wasn't going to be Irish. Fact is, that Hunter was being sneaky, got caught, and Charlie called him out on it. Weis pulled his offer last week, according to several sources from the Notre Dame football office. Even though he made several attempts to sway him to stick to his original verbal commitment, Weis made the right move. One guy isn't going to break, what is still considered the #1 recruiting class. Heck Brandon Newman is turning heads this week with his play at the All-Star practices. Hafis Williams and the play of Ian Williams this season, has made Omar's decommitment, not as devastating as some Irish fans make this out to be. Yes, it sucks, but do you really want someone that doesn't have morals and values of a Notre Dame man? I sure as heck don't!

Omar definitely isn't the only one to blame on this whole situation. Florida is just as bad by trying to be as sneaky. Urban must laugh when everyone does all the hard work of finding diamonds in the rough, like Hunter when only two schools at first (ND and Michigan) were on his radar. Meyer just sits back with his ears pinned and then cherry picks verbal commitments. More power to him that he can con kids into backing out of their original commitments. It builds a lot of character. YEAH!

Speaking of Florida. Isn't Karma a bitch? Before the opening kickoff of the Capital One Bowl, ABC showed footage of several Gator players stomping on the Michigan logo. Not that Michigan needed anymore M O for this game already since this was Lloyd Carr's last game as the Wolverine head coach, but damn, are Florida players that stupid? Or does Urban Meyer not care what his players do, except win football games? If it wasn't for Mike Hart bumbling and fumbling twice on the 1 yard line, Michigan could have won by several touchdowns.

Before watching this contest, I didn't want to see Michigan win, 'cause, quite frankly, I don't like the Maize and Blue. But after seeing that display of poor sportsmanship, I rooted for UM. I guess I sold myself to the devil for three and a half hours yesterday, and actually liked it.

So in the end, being true to your word is what is really key here. If Omar was truthful the whole time, I wouldn't of cared less if he decommitted. But being sneaky, getting caught in the act, and giving out bogus remarks about playing style and coaches, is complete and utter bullshit!

Paging Mike Martin, Mike Martin, the Irish are awaiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment