Saturday, June 9, 2012
Unoffical List Surfaces with Surprising Names
A list of names has surfaced from the Golden Dome today for the successor of departed Athletic Director Kevin White. A list of 15 potential candidates from the Board of Directors and Fr. Jenkins' Office has been whittled down to six. Three names that have been mentioned already and three that are rather surprising.
The common names to be on the list are Notre Dame alums Gene Smith (Ohio State AD), Steve Orisni (SMU AD), and interm ND AD Missy Conboy. The next three names do not have any ties to the University whatsoever, but have been very successful.
Craig Littlepage (Virginia AD)
- BA (University of Pennsylvania)
- 1st African American AD in the ACC
- Has made great progress in upgrading UVa's Athletic Facilities.
- Solid fund raiser and was named one of the best businessmen in athletics according to Forbes Magazine.
- Former Head Basketball Coach at his alma mater Pennsylvania and at Rutgers.
Jeremy Foley (Florida AD)
- BA (Hobart College); MS in Athletic Administration (Ohio University)
- Has never finished lower than 7th in the All Sports Director's Cup.
- Directly responsible for more than $180 million in capital improvements.
- UF became the first program in collegiate history to own both the men's basketball and football national titles in the same calendar year.
- Named the Street & Smith’s SportsBusiness Journal National Athletic Director of the Year in June of 2006
Bob Bowlsby (Stanford AD)
- BA (Moorhead State University, MN); MA (University of Iowa)
- Former AD at Iowa
- Had unprecedented success and growth in the area of fund raising and facilities at both Iowa and now Stanford.
- Elected chair of the NCAA Olympic Sports Liaison Committee .
- Former Committee Chairman of the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball.
- served as an Executive Committee member with both the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics and the Division I-A Athletic Directors Association and served in 2002-2003 as President of the I-A Directors group.
Fr. Jenkins is going to be in contact with the respective institutions this week to ask for permission to speak with Smith, Orisni, Littlepage, Foley, and Bowlsby. More information about the search will be provided once it becomes available.